Monday, October 18, 2010

ARE you an incredibly messy childish person who relates to the world solely through Star Trek?

Actually no. Maybe when I was eleven. Psychological research seems to suggest that one's surroundings can have a massive impact on one's mood, health, ability to pay attention, etc. so I have trained myself over the years reading up on structural engineering, feng shui, interior decorating, and so forth to allow things to get cluttered to a certain point and then, like an action potential firing in a neuron, activate a behavioral cue to clean up everything all at once- which is fun on a creative level because it feels as if I am creating a new room each time I rearrange, finding places for the new things and viewing old things in a different way.


As I was talking about before, one can modify where you keep objects stored to improve how easy it is to locate or use something with the least amount of directed thought necessary, which I call "easy find". As s2 mentions when things are clean it is easier to ignore them. I always attempt to prioritize cognitive functionality over total removal from my surroundings- but there are times of course when other effects are desired, to that end I invented these terms:

Low-Stress Configuration: moving your stuff around before an extended period of duress so that it will not freak you out or bother you AT ALL during finals, or the murder trial of your cousin, or when you are planning to beat the all-time worldwide high score in Spider Solitaire blindfolded

Creativity Configuration: Research suggests that the being surrounded by the color blue helps human creativity, blah blah blah blah

a few simple changes by applying what you know from hundreds of research studies can optimize the goal you are trying to set, though it would likely be difficult if you were a total "computer freak" as it was put in s2, luckily I am not so focused on electronics to the exclusion of everything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment