Monday, October 18, 2010

How will you find the time?

I think it was Alfred North Whitehead who said "Civilization advances by extending the number of important operations which we can perform without thinking about them." My life has been lived very simply with purposeful attention to operational functionality to allow me the most concentration time I want. When I watched TV during my sophomore year it was without waiting for commercials thanks to 'skipping programs', so that I could watch three shows in the time it normally took someone to watch two. I would walk downstairs to the cafeteria and grab some food to eat in the time it took a normal person to start the water boiling for their breakfast or lunch. I lived within twelve minutes of anywhere that I would conceivably need to go (by bike). I would remain aware of things like in the time it takes most people to walk out the door, travel to the theater, wait for previews, watch the previews, watch the film, stand in line to leave, and finally return home, you could have watched two movies on DVD! Naturally we lose thousands of hours of our lives in such jejune indifference to human factor theory.


It is unfortunate that sleep deprivation has so many terrible effects (also including a loss of moral decision-making ability, sensory disaffection and the need for more calories to operate), in the last year prioritizing getting eight hours of sleep has been a little bit like becoming a narcoleptic, "losing" large blocks of previously-useful time. I had already read Insomniac by Gayle Greene and seen Alan Berliner's film "Wide Awake: Portrait of an Artist as an Insomniac" and both stood out among the rest of the works I encountered as helpful resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment