Monday, October 18, 2010

What has been your greatest disappointment?

With my friends AL and AF I began to plan a trip to New Orleans senior year. I was skeptical we were going to be able to find the money for the perfect hotel that was put forward as the best location to take in all of the culture and revelry, so we delayed, saying that we could do it later (I objecting that it was probably never going to happen, since I had very good reason to suspect we were about to grow apart). Ergo when Katrina hit and a large chunk of the people and the spirit of the city were washed away forever with the tragic images of the dead strewn haphazardly and the trapped within the stadium being raped and robbed under a criminal incompetence the door was closed to the old New Orleans. Now it makes me sad to think about that city.


Political disappointments also abound. I actually supported George W. Bush in 2000 over Gore since he was presenting promising middle of the road views with massive scientific and environmental reforms (like the moon base), only to be horrified at what was to come. Some of my friends say they really support Bush's past leadership, or even miss him, but I must respectfully maintain that this was the worst administration in the history of the United States. I also know several conservatives who would agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment