Monday, October 18, 2010

What is the most beautiful thing you have ever created?

I often create Ghazals (example) which I never perform for others, but once I was sitting on my floor singing "Across the Multiverse", which is something I wrote deliberately to be better than the rare version of "Across the Universe" on the subject of love across alternate realities, and a submelody carried me into a totally new harmonic melody which I began singing wordlessly with, and it was like connecting with the essence of both my sitar and the entire city and my entire life. I heard someone stop as they were walking past the door of my dorm room and say "Oh my god...", that is the only person who has ever heard something that I've wrote. I forgot this song immediately after I stopped playing, but I was reminded of the stories of ancient students of the sitar who would once tie their hair to tree branches and play wild and fantastic ragas all day and night in a trance to be awakened if they started nodding off.

No comments:

Post a Comment