Monday, October 18, 2010

Do you read webcomics?

I could never afford serialized superhero comics when I was small, and due to their violence and non-relation to the works of Jesus of Nazareth my parents were not interested in helping me subscribe, so I would often check out anthologies of "Calvin and Hobbes" and "Foxtrot" from the library, and this helped me build appreciation for a form of art overlooked by a majority of Americans who still tend to turn up their noses at graphic novels, which is insane. Comics, and even internet comics, can be a highly thought provoking and aesthetically beguiling medium. I recommend "Cages" by Dave McKean all of the time, because I tend to read graphic novels between giant epics (in a principle similar to "muscle confusion" for physical training) and on the web I read, in order of affinity:

A Lesson is Learned but the Damage is Irreversible
Dresden Codak
The Secret Knots
Hark, A Vagrant
A Softer World
Hourly Comics / Pictures for Sad Children
XKCD
Dinosaur Comics [diminishing in quality steadily as Ryan North met a girl and married her]
Anders Loves Maria / So far Apart
Ballad
Wondermark
pear-pear
Questionable Content
Riceboy (Original)
dead . winter
Three Panel Soul / MacHall
Wiki's Lessons in Life
Good Night, Good Light!
Perry Bible Fellowship
Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal
Buttercup Festival

Where many of these are stopped with no new updates, or sometimes update only once a month. I also have friends who share their favorite work from many other authors, and with the success of Scott Pilgrim it is doubtless that more interesting pieces will follow (Having now gone through precious volumes engraved by Gustave Doré for the aristocracy in the nineteenth century I now feel secure in the movement's stability).

No comments:

Post a Comment